A 15-year old Oklahoma girl lost her life after taking the ‘Benadryl Challenge’ on TikTok. Benadryl Challenge is the latest dangerous trend on TikTok in which teens encouraged each other to take as much allergy medicine as needed to hallucinate.
The 15-year old girl who has not identified was not familiar with the drug experiments. As per the challenge, the participants should take at least 12 capsules of anti-allergy medicine in an attempt to get high.
But the unnamed girl took the overdose and lost her life. She had no idea that the dose which caused hallucination is very close to the dose which caused her death.
Benadryl is the brand name of an over-the-counter drug called diphenhydramine. Its overdosing may lead to heart attack, stroke, seizures, brain damage, and death.
It was disclosed that three teens were earlier admitted with the same reason in May. On of the teen was immediately rushed to the hospital after she took 14 tablets of Benadryl in the middle of the night as a challenge.
At that time her resting heart rate was 199. She was admitted to the hospital and stayed overnight. The next morning when her heart rate came back to normal she was discharged from the hospital.
A representative of Johnson & Johnson that market Benadryl said that the Benadryl TikTok challenge is very dangerous. Additionally, they are working with TikTok to do what they can to stop this dangerous challenge.
Social media apps like TikTok must have rules for these types of trends which are very dangerous. They should be banned immediately before making rounds on the internet for several days.